Skip to main content

Exit WCAG Theme

Switch to Non-ADA Website

Accessibility Options

Select Text Sizes

Select Text Color

Website Accessibility Information Close Options
Close Menu
Robert E. Craven & Associates Rhode Island Personal Injury Attorney

When Can I File a Negligent Security Claim Against a Property Owner in Rhode Island?


When visiting someone else’s residential or commercial property in Rhode Island, you expect the property owner to keep you safe from harm by employing appropriate security measures on the premises.

While property owners cannot always prevent criminal or violent crimes committed by third parties, they are required to provide adequate security on the premises and protect you against foreseeable risks.

If you have been injured on someone else’s property and you believe that the property owner failed to provide adequate security measures, you may be entitled to compensation. Speak with our Rhode Island personal injury attorney at Robert E. Craven & Associates to review your situation and determine whether you can bring a negligent security claim.

When can you file a negligent security claim in Rhode Island?

When a property owner fails to provide adequate and reasonable security measures to protect you from foreseeable harm, you may be able to pursue a negligent security claim against the owner to seek compensation for your damages and losses.

Some common examples of inadequate security measures on residential and commercial properties include:

  1. Not repairing broken or malfunctioning locks, doors, windows, gates, or fences
  2. Failing to install and/or monitor security cameras
  3. Not responding to emergency calls or security alerts
  4. Failing to provide adequate lighting on the premises
  5. Failing to warn visitors of dangers

Not hiring qualified security guards when appropriate (for example, if this is a type of property where violence is likely or there have been previous instances of crime on the property)

Some types of properties are more vulnerable to violence and criminal activities than others. Owners of such properties are usually held to a higher standard of care when implementing security measures.

Who can be sued for negligent security in Rhode Island?

While any owner of a residential or commercial property can be sued for failure to provide adequate security measures, some properties are more likely to face negligent security lawsuits. Those properties include:

  • Nightclubs and bars
  • Parking lots
  • Apartment complexes
  • Hotels
  • Concert venues
  • Stadiums
  • Schools
  • Hospitals

Note: Under Rhode Island law, property owners cannot be held liable for all injuries caused by third-party criminal acts on the premises. Even with adequate security measures in place, the owner may not be able to prevent unforeseeable criminal activities or violence. If you were hurt due to a third party criminal act on someone else’s property, whether or not you can pursue a negligent security claim may hinge on the “foreseeability” of the criminal act.

What damages can you recover in a negligent security claim?

When a property owner fails to employ adequate security measures, you may get injured by a third party in the commission of a violent crime, such as robbery, assault, or sexual assault.

If you can prove a negligent security claim, you may be entitled to compensation from the owner of the property to pay for your financial losses and damages. Recoverable damages may include:

  • Medical expenses
  • Lost wages
  • Pain and suffering
  • Property damage
  • Emotional distress or mental anguish
  • Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (PTSD)

If you were hurt on someone else’s property due to negligent security measures, speak with our Rhode Island personal injury lawyers at Robert E. Craven & Associates. Receive consultation by calling 401-453-2700.

Facebook Twitter LinkedIn

By submitting this form I acknowledge that form submissions via this website do not create an attorney-client relationship, and any information I send is not protected by attorney-client privilege.

Skip footer and go back to main navigation